City Offices will be closed Monday, July 6th for the Independence Day Holiday. Solid waste collection will be on a modified schedule the week of July 6 - 10. Follow this link for details.

Thomasville - Engineering Logo (Full Color)


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Engineering Department provides a number of different services to the public and other city departments. It is comprised of a three person staff that is responsible for the following municipal services:

  • Building Permit Review
  • Subdivision Review
  • Engineering/Surveying
  • Project Administration
  • Street Lighting
  • Record Keeping


Building Permit Review

Building permits are issued by the City of Thomasville Planning & Inspections Department located in City Hall at 10 Salem Street. As a part of the review and approval process, the Engineering Department reviews permit requests to determine compliance with the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance as administered and enforced by the Engineering Department and to determine compliance with erosion control plan approval requirements as administered and enforced by the Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources Section of the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ). Compliance on both of the above described items, as necessary, must be obtained prior to the Engineering Department being able to sign-off on a permit request.

A separate Floodplain Development Permit must be obtained from the Engineering Department prior to any development within a Special Flood Hazard Area in accordance with the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance regardless of the scope or type of development. Development means any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations, or storage of equipment or materials. Special Flood Hazard Areas are identified on the effective Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) for Davidson County which are produced in cooperation with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by the State of North Carolina.

Where an erosion control plan is required by NCDEQ, a copy of the approval letter and a copy of the approved erosion control plan must be provided. Generally, an erosion control plan is required prior to development that will disturb one acre or more of land. Please contact the regional Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources Office in Winston-Salem, NC for more information.

Subdivision Review

The subdivision ordinance is administered by the Planning & Inspections Department. The Engineering Department reviews subdivision plats and plans for compliance with specific requirements of the subdivision ordinance including but not limited to street and surveying requirements. Surveying requirements of the North Carolina General Statutes and the North Carolina Administrative Code must also be met.


The Engineering Department provides various location, layout, boundary, and construction surveys on small public works projects. Typical projects include street right-of-way acquisitions; sanitary sewer location and easement surveys; layout of park facilities; and boundary surveys of city-owned properties.

Project Administration

Project administration involves acting as the project representative on various municipal projects. Duties may include reviewing or preparing project correspondence, plans, specifications, reports, estimates, and scopes of work; and presenting, interpreting, and making recommendations on the above items to the City Manager and Council. Project administration also includes assisting/reviewing consultants and contractors in the progression of the work as well as coordinating activities between the city, consultants, contractors, state officials, private utilities, and citizens. The Engineering Department also acts as a liaison with the NCDOT on various transportation projects in or near the city and serves on the Technical Coordinating Committee of the High Point Metropolitan Planning Organization. Typical projects include bridge replacements, planimetric/topo mapping updates, and transportation plan updates.

Street Lighting

You may request a street light for a public street inside the city limits by calling 336-475-4250. Requests are reviewed on a monthly basis. Recommendations are then made to the City Manager for review after which approved requests are forwarded to Duke Energy who installs and maintains the street light system. To report a street light problem such as a burnout, day burner (burns during daylight), or cycler (turns on and off frequently), please call Duke Energy’s 24 hour customer service at 1-800-777-9898 or go to

Record Keeping

The Engineering Department is responsible for maintaining a considerable number of maps and other documents that include information concerning streets, waterlines, sanitary sewer, street lights, zoning, city limits, etc. Paper plots and digital files for some of these maps are available to the public for a fee. Requests for maps should be made to the Engineering Department, City of Thomasville, P.O. Box 368, Thomasville, NC 27361 or by calling (336) 475-4257. Fees must be paid in advance.


Engineering Department offices are located at City Hall, 3rd Floor, 10 Salem Street, P.O. Box 368, Thomasville, NC, 27361.

Engineering Staff

E-mail Address Phone Number

City Engineer, Bryan Fulbright (336) 475-4250

City Surveyor, Tommy Hutchens, PLS

(336) 475-4257

Eng. Tech. II,  Tim Duncan, PLS (336) 475-4256