Thomasville City Cemetery
A Stroll through History
The Thomasville City Cemetery is placed on property that was donated by the founder of Thomasville, John W. Thomas, around 1860 for use as a cemetery which was known as "Willow Branch Cemetery North and South". The Cemetery Association owned a portion north of Willow Branch. In 1924, the cemetery was taken over by the city and renamed "City Cemetery". The cemetery expanded over the years to include land previously owned by Braxton Wagner and land owned by George L. Hundly. After a period of neglect and vandalism, a renewed interest in revitalization and historical preservation was ignited through the commitment of Nat P Walker whose parents and grandparents are buried in the cemetery.
Since 1984 Mr. Walker has been an outspoken advocate for the cemetery and major changes have transformed its appearance. Sunken graves have been filled in; head stones have been repaired; the fence has been repaired; the road has been paved; and a museum has been constructed to house historical documentation. In 2001, Mr. Walker was awarded the Citizen Award from the Governor's Crime Commission for his endeavors.
Thomasville City Cemetery offers a glimpse of things past so important in the town's historic records. Twice captured and freed Confederate surgeon, Simon Baruch, was ordered to Thomasville in March 1865 to set up hospital facilities for wounded and dying soldiers. A granite marker was placed in the cemetery in 1995 by the Thompson-Robbins-Trice Chapter #2438, United Daughters of the Confederacy to honor the men , both Confederate and Union, who gave their lives during the War between the States. Thomasville City Cemetery is one of a few in the country that has both Confederate and Union soldiers buried in the same cemetery.
There are slaves buried in the cemetery. The tombstone for Samuel and Lula Clark dated September 28, 1867 is the oldest marked plot within the segregated area of the cemetery donated by Braxton Wagner. The area was once set apart by a chain link fence which has since been removed. Extensive efforts have been made to identify and mark the graves of those buried in this section.
Thomasville City Cemetery now offers a cremation garden. There are 66 plots set aside for cremation urn burial.